Doctors at hospital in central India save life of 11-year-month infant who swallowed battery
Doctors at the Shri Balaji hospital in central India’s Chhattisgarh saved the life of an 11-month-old, who had swallowed a battery.
The incident reportedly happened in Raipur city. The patient was operated on January 19 and discharged on January 31.
Visuals that emerged showed the battery that was taken out of the child’s stomach. According to a report, the infant, named Thaswin Sahu, a resident of Balodabazar, had swallowed the battery while playing and was brought to the hospital by his parents. An X-ray done on January 18, at the hospital showed the battery stuck in the child’s intestine. Doctors reportedly waited for a period of 24 hours for the child to excrete out the battery and they waited again after it did not happen.
A team of doctors led by Dr. Anil Dubey, Dr. Rashmi, Dr. Reema Wadhwa (anesthesia) and Dr. Nikita Patel (pediatrician) performed the operation on the child, who was also reportedly suffering from a congenital disease called Meckel’s Diverticulum. It was also learnt that the operation was a timely one and had the battery not got surgically removed on time, it could have released acid into the child’s body leading to the burning of intestines.
The operation was a successful one and the child was discharged from the hospital on January 31.